Local TD and Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar has announced €733,000 in grant funding for sports clubs and organisations in the Dublin West Constituency.
In total, 11 clubs and community organisations will benefit from this round of funding and all clubs based in Dublin 15 and Dublin 7 which submitted valid applications were awarded a grant. This funding comes on top of grants of €779,000 allocated by Minister Varadkar for 16 projects in December 2012, including funding for the recently opened all-weather pitch at Ongar Community Centre and many other projects that are complete or have yet to draw their funding down.
“When they were in government back in 2008, Fianna Fáil, the Greens and the Independents scrapped sports grants for local clubs. In government, Fine Gael and Labour re-instated the programme and as a result I have been able to allocate almost €2 million for 29 sporting projects in Dublin 15 and Dublin 7,” Minister Varadkar said.
“We are also developing the National Sport Campus in Blanchardstown in co-operation with the GAA, FAI, IRFU and Hockey Ireland. Investment in sport makes sense. It improves public health, creates employment and helps to build communities. It is taxpayers’ money well spent in my view.”
Minister Varadkar has also provided funding to re-open the De Paul swimming pool on the Navan Road.
Details of this round of grants is as follows:
- IT Blanchardstown / St Peregrines GAA: Floodlit pitch at IT Blanchardstown – €193,000
- Castleknock Hurling and Football: Clubhouse/Gym/Dressing Rooms – €198,632
- St Mochta’s Football Club: All-weather pitch and floodlighting – €181,303
- Coolmine Rugby Club: Fencing/Dugouts/Equipment – €72,683
- St Brigid’s GAA: Upgrade Handball Courts – €31,288
- Hartstown/Huntstown FC: Changing Rooms – €25,000
- Civil Service Cricket Club, Phoenix Park: Fencing and Security – €20,877
- Sport Club 15 (Special Olympics): Equipment Grant – €1,036
- Royal Canal Park Community Association: Equipment Grant – €742
- Mountview Boys and Girls: Equipment Grant – €7,682
- Activ Multisport Triathlon Club: Equipment Grant – €1,423