DUBLIN COUNTS DOWN TO ‘3 NYE DUBLIN 2014 – THE ULTIMATE GATHERING’
Details of NYE Dublin – The Ultimate Gathering were announced at the Mansion House, Dublin today Monday 25th of November. Now in its third year, this year’s NYE Festival has grown to four full days of festivities, drawing a fitting close to the year of the Gathering firmly cementing Dublin’s status as a world class destination for New Year’s Eve.
This year’s festival brings together the best of the capital’s holiday traditions with brand new and quirky events that are expected to welcome thousands of locals and visitors to Dublin.
• 29th December: The Gathering at Leopardstown
• 30th December: #LoveDublin Day
• 31st December: The Procession of Light & The Countdown Concert
• 1st January: The Big Brunch
Speaking at the launch Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport Leo Varadkar said:
“Last year’s NYE Festival kicked off The Gathering 2013 and set the tone for a great year. This year’s event is going to be even bigger and should put Dublin firmly on the world stage for new year celebrations. I can see Dublin rivalling Edinburgh and New York as a New Year destination in a few years’ time. 2013 has been special for Irish tourism and for the people of Ireland. That’s why we have enhanced the NYE programme to make it the best festival ever held in Dublin. I’m looking forward to joining thousands of people from Ireland and from elsewhere for this Ultimate Gathering.”
The NYE Festival was established in 2011 and Dublin’s status as a world class destination for New Year’s Eve has grown ever since, with the Lonely Planet recently declaring Dublin one of the world’s top places to ring in a New Year.
Lord Mayor of Dublin, Cllr. Oisin Quinn, said:
“Dublin truly deserves its place as one of the great world cities to spend New Year’s Eve and this year is set to be extra special. I’m particularly looking forward to leading Dubliners and visitors alike in the Procession of Light and gathering in Meeting House Square for the Big Brunch on 1st January. Dublin city and Dubliners have played a huge role in the Gathering so I am delighted that our beautiful city will play host to the Ultimate Gathering”.
Also speaking at the launch, The Gathering Ireland Project Director, Jim Miley reminded people that there is still time to make that Gathering invitation and celebrate New Year in Ireland’s capital city.
“Since we rang in 2013 at last year’s NYE Festival, we have celebrated over 5000 Gatherings. The countdown is now well and truly on to the Ultimate Gathering, and the four days of this year’s NYE Dublin Festival offer plenty of reasons to invite friends and family home to celebrate this special year in style.”
The NYE Dublin Festival is a joint initiative of Fáilte Ireland and Dublin City Council and is produced by Davis Events. The festival was established in 2011 to drive tourism to Dublin over the New Year’s period, establishing Dublin as a top destination for New Year’s Eve. NYE Dublin 2013 opened the Gathering Ireland 2013 and, sponsored by Three, this year’s ‘3 NYE Dublin 2014 – The Ultimate Gathering’, will officially close a year of Gatherings.
Notes to Editor:
NYE Dublin 2014- The Ultimate Gathering consists of four days of festivities.
• 29th December : The Gathering at Leopardstown will see the home of Christmas racing celebrate the Gathering with special performances from Mary Black and Finbar Furey and a percentage of ticket prices going to the London Irish Centre and The Forgotten Irish.
• 30th December: Love Dublin Day will celebrate the city’s flair for music and literature with a number of free pop-up events across quirky venues.
• 31st December: The Procession of Light will mark the beginning of the end of the Gathering Ireland 2013 as over 1000 people parade through the city’s streets holding lanterns made at free family workshops. The procession will be joined by pageants, street artists, musicians and a marching band and will conclude with a spectacular acrobatic finale at St. Stephen’s Green. Registration is free but places are limited.
31st December: The Three NYE Countdown Concert will see MKS (Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan – the founding members of Sugababes), hot new act The Strypes and YouTube darlings Seo Linn join seminal ska band Madness and Ryan Sheridan on stage at the Countdown Concert, in College Green. Last year’s Countdown Concert on College Green saw crowds of over 10,000 on the streets of Dublin, with over 1.3 million people tuning in to the live RTE TV broadcast. This year’s festival atmosphere will be amplified by stunning projections on Trinity College to see out the final few hours of 2013.Tickets are €25
• 1st January: The Big Brunch will prolong the NYE festivities with a special children’s programme of face painting, balloon modelling, puppet and magic shows, plus a kids disco and children’s choir. Grown-ups can browse the market stalls; enjoy the vintage tea dance and Electric Céilí and hang their New Year’s resolutions on The Resolution Tree. Complete with retractable rain covers, the Big Brunch in temple Bar’s Meeting House Square promises to keep the whole family entertained.
For information on the four days of 3 NYE Dublin 2014 – The Ultimate Gathering, go to www.visitdublin.com/NYE